Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Turning the Page in Cusco

This weekend I had the opportunity to go and visit our boys' home in Cusco. It was my first trip down there since the heavy rains and floods destroyed the home in January. I went down to visit friends, but I also was anxious to help Hector and Maritza (the house parents) look for new land for their new home. The boys are currently staying in an old hotel complex that we are renting out until we can build a new home on a new piece of land. I was really struck by the anxiety of the boys to know where their next house will be. Every time the subject came up, they asked lots of questions and listened intently. Each time that Hector, Maritza, and I came back after looking at a possible piece of land the boys didn't waste a moment to ask us about our trip.

I didn't plan it this way, but my visit just happened to coincide with the second anniversary of our Girasoles program in Cusco's Sacred Valley. I found it quite ironic that we were out searching for land for the new home on the very anniversary of the opening of the first home that no longer exists. Sunday afternoon, we went out and purchased cookies and soda to have a small anniversary celebration with the boys that evening. We all sat down in a circle outside, and Hector shared his memories of the first days of the home two years ago. He talked to the kids about how far they have come and how proud he is to be their father. When he finished speaking, he put me on the spot--asking me if I had any words to share with the boys.

After seeing the anxiety that the boys had to know where their new home will be, I really just wanted to remind them that God is in control, and He definitely has a plan for them. I reminded them of the many ways that God has provided for their needs in the last two years. He has given them loving house parents; He has changed many of their lives through the Good News found in the Gospel; He protected them by keeping them far away from the floods in January due to a perfectly timed vacation to the beach; and He provided them with a quick temporary residence while we look for a new permanent solution. I know that we are not at the end of the story. God continues to be in control, and I know that He will provide for His children.

After I shared, Hector opened the floor up to any of the boys who would like to say anything. A couple of the boys blew me away with their words. In tears, one of the boys shared his memories of being abandoned when he was five years old. He was so thankful to have found house parents who cared for him, but when the house came down he was afraid that he would be left homeless again (probably why many of the older boys are so anxious to know about their next permanent home). He shared how thankful he was to be reassured that we will rebuild and that he will not have to leave the program. Then one of the older boys stood up--again in tears--as he began to talk about his memories of his family. He shared how thankful he was to now have parents like Hector and Maritza. He shared that when he grows up he wants to be just like them. As he reflected over his past two years in the program, he proceeded to confess that he had been a little rebellious and quite difficult to work with. He asked for forgiveness and promised to be more cooperative.

I find it hard to adequately describe with words what it was like to sit and listen to these two testimonies. Sitting there I could sense God's presence, and I could see the Holy Spirit working in the lives of these boys. What a beautiful time of sharing, fellowship, reconciliation, and restoration! What a blessing to see God at work in the midst of the tragic loss of their old home.

God provided for Abraham, Joseph, Daniel, and so many other people. There is no doubt in my mind that He will continue to provide for the Girasoles in Cusco. Life is like a big book, and God is the author. I cannot wait to see what God has in store for these children as we get ready to turn to the next page!

4 comments:

  1. Hi, I am another missionary here in Peru. I was talking to Gerardo, who goes to my church, and he was telling me about "ese pata, tambien un gringo que chambea por el union biblica del Peru" - seriously, these guys and their jergas!
    I assume you are the pata. Thanks for what you do for Gerardo through your friendship with him. Keep on with the fight. prayers. Eden

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Billy! Whenever I miss the boys, I come and read your blogs. I'm blessed to read your post about the Cusco boys. Thank you for keeping us updated! God bless.

    Dawoun (from the Redeemer group)

    ReplyDelete
  3. God's love is so amazing! His love changes everything. The stories reflect the impact that the Holy Spirits work has in one's heart and how it brings hope despite the pain. The Lord is in the work of reconciliation. What an amazing testimony! I continue to pray for you and the ministry the Lord has provided for you to serve Him and share His love :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this wonderful story. It reminds me of the great work that Scripture Union is doing for these boys and God’s remarkable power to transform lives. I know that your words meant so much to Hector and the boys. Please continue to keep us updated.

    Susan (from the Redeemer team)

    ReplyDelete