Monday, December 7, 2009

Cookies, Guitars, and Bibles

Last week was very busy, but very good. I just want to share a few highlights with you...

Christmas Cookies
Paul and Marty Clark, the directors of Scripture Union Peru, invited me to their church in Lima for Thanksgiving dinner, and I happily accepted. Thanksgiving is not a holiday here in Peru, so a good Thanksgiving dinner is hard to come by. The plan was to leave Ica on Thursday (Thanksgiving), arrive for dinner, and then spend a day to relax in Lima before returning to Ica on Saturday. I really enjoyed Thanksgiving dinner at church, but there were no Christmas cookies; having homemade cookies is on of my favorite parts. When I shared this with my family, they suggested that I make some cookies for myself, and perhaps for the boys back in Ica. For anyone who knows me, I am not a chef or a baker by any means. Apart from scrambling eggs, I am practically useless in the kitchen. I wanted cookies so badly that I mustered up the strength to try making some cookies. They actually turned out alright, and I shared them with everyone here at the home when I returned last Saturday. They were such a hit that Nancy, the house mother, made me teach her how to make them, and we had more cookies on Thursday. Making cookies was quite a personal accomplishment for me...even if I didn't have to bake them.


My Christmas wreath cookies!

New Guitars
After learning about the music program that Augusto has put together for the boys here in Ica, a group of people from Scotland decided that they wanted to support the work, so they sent a donation to purchase some musical instruments for the home. The catch is that it is impossible to buy any quality musical instruments in Ica; you have to go to Lima. Last Wednesday, Augusto and I did just that. We woke up at 3:30am so that we could be on the bus by 4:30am. After 5 hours on the bus we arrived in Lima and headed straight to the music store. We spent about 3 hours shopping around and purchasing instruments, and then we headed back to the bus station to take another 5 hour bus ride back down to Ica. We got back around 6:00pm When all was said and done, we were able to arrive and present the new electric guitar and the new base guitar to the boys at dinner time. It was a long day, but the guitars will be a great addition for the band. The kids here are all lining up to learn to play guitar!


With the new guitars!


Pampachay band

Handing out Bibles
Augusto's church received a number of Bibles from the local chapter of the Gideons to pass out to people who needed them, so on Friday morning, Augusto and I were invited to enter into some of the schools and pass out the Bibles. We really didn't have a ton of time to talk with the children, and they were public schools, so we were fairly limited as to what we could say in the classroom. But I trust in God's promise that his Word never returns void. By the end of the morning we handed out nearly 200 Bibles to kids and teachers at two different schools!
"So is my word that goes out from my mouth:   
It will not return to me empty,   
but will accomplish what I desire   
and achieve the purpose for which I sent it." 
Isaiah 55:11


Handing out the Bibles

1 comment:

  1. Great talking to you the other night! Michi and I are gonna try to make the cookies today:)

    ReplyDelete