Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Just for Fun

Well, things are still going well here in Cusco and the Sacred Valley. For this post, I just wanted to share a small list of fun, random, happy, or just plain funny things that have happened over the last month. Here we go!

--To start off, I want to give you an idea of the scenery here in the Sacred Valley. I see views like this on a daily basis. What a great reminder of how powerful and mighty our God is!

The Sacred Valley

--Hector, the house father at Cusco, invited me to climb a small mountain that sits right next to the casa girasoles with him and some other guys. It is by no means an incredibly tall mountain, but it is not small either. Thankfully, Hector and the boys are good guides because there were some pretty steep passes. Everyone climbed up and down quite safely, except for the fact that it was almost impossible to avoid all of the spines and sharp leaves of the plants that grow there.

The Mountain Climbing Crew

--A few weeks ago, Kate Bruder and I traveled from Urubamba to Cusco (about and hour and a half drive) in a station wagon called a collectivo where you pay just for your seat, and the car leaves the station when it is full. Well, about half of the way through the trip we were coming close to a police checkpoint when the driver suddenly slammed on the breaks, parked behind the truck, got out of the car, and had another man who was riding in the trunk of the station wagon get behind the wheel. Our original driver proceeded to nonchalantly walk past the police checkpoint where we picked him up and continued onto Cusco...a little shady if you ask me!

--Kate and I happened to be in Cusco during the week of Inti Raymi, the Festival of the Sun. They celebrate during the week because it is their winter solstice (our summer solstice). Even though we weren't there for the biggest festivals, we still managed to accidentally run into about 10 different parades. I kind of lost count. They were all separate local parades with their own patron saints, dancers, bands, men in costumes. Gorilla costumes seemed to be a favorite.

Little Boy in Gorilla Costume for the Parade

Another Parade

--That same week, Kate and I ran across a fireworks show that was about to get underway here in Urubamba. I am not sure what it was celebrating, but it involved men wearing a cardboard form of a bull on their backs that were covered in different fuses for fireworks, and once they were lit, the men ran like mad people through the crowd shooting fireworks everywhere and at everyone. The evening culminated with a big tower of fireworks that was lit off--again with many of the sparklers and fire landing in the crowd. It was quite a site to see, and I have to say that half of the excitement of it all was the adrenaline high that you get, knowing that you might get hit by something! I dubbed it firework roulette. :-)

--I have enjoyed attending church in Urubamba with Hector and the boys during my time here. Last Sunday was particularly interesting because the elementary school children did a very hilarious skit about Abraham and Isaac. Some really good up and coming actors in that church.

--The same night as the funny skit in the church, there was a big parade/celebration in the main square of Urubamba.

--I am enjoying hosting quite a large number of Scottish groups this year. I have picked up a whole new vocabulary.

--I discovered that as a resident of Peru, I am entitled to take the local train to Machu Picchu. The cheapest tourist class train costs approximately $80 round trip. As a resident, I can do it for less than $7!

--Today I took advantage of the local train, and I accompanied the work team as far as Aguas Calientes (the town at the base of Machu Picchu) for their work day. Because I didn't actually enter the ruins, I had some spare time on my hands while the group toured around. I decided to test myself and see if I could climb up the path from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu. By bus, the cost is $7 each way. Walking it is free! The only issue is that it is quite a hike. You begin at Aguas Calientes (6,700 feet), and then proceed to walk down the valley for about 20 minutes to an elevation of about 6,500 feet. After crossing a bridge that goes over the Urubamba River, all that's left is a long uphill hike...probably thousands of stone stairs, although it seemed like millions. Arriving at Machu Picchu at the end of the hike, your final elevation is about 7,900 feet. It is like walking down the stairs of a 13 story building, and then up the stairs of a 94 story building in the middle of the jungle! It definitely felt good to finish.


The Path Up to Machu Picchu

Looking Down from about Half-way Up

--The town of Aguas Calientes literally means "hot waters," due to the fact that there are natural hot springs that you can enter into. I had my first experience with them today, and it was a blast hanging out there with the group after a long hike. We will just ignore the fact that the water was quite yellow and so cloudy that you couldn't see the bottom.

--Tonight after boarding the work team onto their train, I had a few hours before my train left. I killed time walking around the town, and I ran into another parade that was followed by a huge dance/music/comedy/magician performance. Are you starting to notice the pattern with the parades and celebrations here in Peru?

--Lastly, as I was waiting to board the 9:20pm local train to go back to the hotel tonight, I was approached by one of the staff people at the train station. He asked me if I was traveling alone, and when I said yes, he asked me to follow him. He then proceeded to board me on the front seat of the 8:55pm Vistadome because they had a few empty seats (a tourist train that comes complete with panoramic views, music shows and dancing, and food service...not to mention more leg room and more comfortable seats). Usually this train costs people $70 - $80 one way. I paid just over $3!

Well, it is getting late, and that is all I can think of for now. Don't forget that you can subscribe to get my new blog posts sent directly to your email inbox by clicking here or typing your email address into the box near the top, right corner of this page. I hope you all have a wonderful week!

2 comments:

  1. Amazing photos and a great post :D. You are a lucky and blessed man!!!!
    I'm glad for you :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is hilarious! I don´t know if I´ve had as many comical experiences, more than what we saw in Cusco together... I´ll have to remember all the silly things Gene does during these next 6 weeks. You linked my name to my site and even gave me a label :) Love it.

    ReplyDelete